The 12 hectare Herrngarten is the largest and oldest park in Darmstadt. Its roots go back to the 16th century when it emerged from three larger and several smaller gardens. Landgravine Caroline had the garden expanded and redesigned in the English style in 1766. The park was destroyed in the Second World War, but today it again offers a very park-like impression with its wide lawns, a pond (with an island, but without silting vegetation) and the trees made up of plane trees, oaks and other deciduous and individual conifers.
The best place to park is the Q-Park Schlossgaragen Tiefgarage, Friedenspl. 4, 64283 Darmstadt. Click on the P in the map to get directions.